b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became inHebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became inHebrew
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 17:51:10 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 4:52 PM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
To: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>; <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 10:30 AM

***
Happens all the time in ancient Greek and Latin.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
***

Barry,

Could you please provide examples of this "happening all the time" process?

Many Thanks.

C'est pas d'probleme, mon amis (like my pseudo-French?),
***
"Ce n'est pas un problème, mon ami." would be better, as far as std. French is concerned.
I'm ok with your pseudo-French, but I'm going to suggest std French, if you don't mind std French.
Actually I'm a native speaker of Northern French dialect but I nevertheless think there's no reason to wreak havoc with std. French.
So I'll keep suggesting std. French transcriptions.
A.
***

I love talking about Latin and Greek on a list devoted to Hebrew.
***
I'll let the Moderators decide what is ok or not.
I have no legitimacy to decide otherwise.
A.
***

In Latin, the stress accent is alway remains on the first syllable of the word.
****
"is alway remains"
Glurps.
Please confirm.
I have not been taught that language at school.
A.
****

This rule is further qualified, however:

1) in word of three syllables or more, if all the vowels are short, the accent always remains on the antepenult.

2) if the penult is long in a word of three syllables or more, it gets the stress.

So, a`mo, but ama`mus (because the second a is long).

Now, lets take a good example that has more than one long syllable, *mobilitas* (both the o and a are long). The stress accent falls on the antepenult (since the i of the penult is short), but the o and the a remain long. Or take the genitive singular of the word:

mobilitatis

The stress accent now shifts to the penult (because that a is long) but the o does not shorten.
***

Erh

The original issue is about short vowels becoming long when pre-tonic!?

This word does not address this issue at all.

A.
***

I can prove it from Greek, too, if you like.
***

Please do.

A.
***