b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Proper Antecedent of qiso in Dan 9:26b

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Proper Antecedent of qiso in Dan 9:26b
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:43:28 +0300

>James:
>
>I noticed that most of the times where “fortified city” is written, the text
>had (YR MBCR e.g. 1 Samuel 6:8, 2 Kings 3:19, or “the Holy City” (YR HQD$
>e.g. Nehemiah 11:1, 19, or “the Just City” Isaiah 1:26.
>
>But as fitting a feminine noun, most adjectives are also feminine.
>
>Karl W. Randolph.

"most adjectives are also feminine" ? ? ? !
how about ALL adjectives are feminine,
and those examples aren't examples at all?
The first are just smixut "construct" `ir "city" leaning on a noun, and Is
1.26
has an implied subject shem 'name', or no subject (indefinite 'it' if you
wish)
with a predicate complement 'just city'.

Hebrew `ir is a feminine noun,
because that is how it is used in Biblical Hebrew.

Randall Buth

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org