b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Slow to anger" - "long of nose"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Slow to anger" - "long of nose"
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:34:54 +0300

On the other hand, there could have been a mental image of God's nose
becoming hot with anger, and if he had a long nose, he would be slower to
anger. Some have postulated that this goes back to the Canaanite image of El
or Baal as a bull or calf, which was not totally eliminated from the
biblical text.

Yigal Levin

p.s. And a happy Passover and Easter to all.