b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Proper Antecedent of qiso in Dan 9:26b [Re-formatted]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ronald Monestime <wbsc400 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew Mailing List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Proper Antecedent of qiso in Dan 9:26b [Re-formatted]
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:42:12 -0400

The Proper Antecedent of qiso in Dan 9:26b
I have done a study to identify the actual antecedent of qiso in Dan 9:26b
(lit. "his end") and the one that most naturally (i.e., grammatically and
syntactically) concords with the 3ms personal pronoun is "the people" (masc.
sing.) which is mentioned before in the phrase ‘the people of the Coming
Ruler.'
Some commentators (e.g., Keil & Delitzch) have argued for a reference to
("the Ruler/Prince") but this is grammatically and syntactically not possible
(or at least, not probable) for the word "the Ruler" is in "adjectival
apposition" to "the people", (an "adnomial" -Waltke and O'Connor, IBHS, 73
#4.6.1), and not a subject and thus not a likely candidate in the same way as
adjectival appositions in construct expressions (also with people): "a people
of old" (Isa 44:7; Ezek 26:20); "people of rebellion" (Isa 30:9); "holy
people" [‘people of holiness'] (Dan 12:7), among other such examples, are not
possible subject antecedents.
Does any know of, or have, a linguistic, and/or exegetical, objections to
this antecedent identification? (If necessary, my full exegetical study of
Dan 9:26b can be supplied in PDF form to requesting personal email
addresses.. (4 pages)).
Ronaldwww.njkproject.info/wbscnjkproject.blogspot.comwww.njkproject.info