b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Yahweh and theophoric names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Yahweh and theophoric names
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 21:11:06 -0500

Hi Karl,

You wrote:

"About the only thing in this discussion that we can say with certainty,
and I would say near 100% certainty, is that “Yahweh” was not the
pronunciation of ???? during Biblical times."

Karl,

Garth and myself approach the "Yahweh" issue from totally different
viewpoints. I factor in the issue of the large con census among scholarly
sources that seem to believe that "Yahweh" was likely to have been the
original pronunciation of God's name. Of course this large concensus of
scholarly sources who believe that the original pronunciation of God's
name was "Yahweh" are prone to use various "weasel" words when they
declare their belief.

I believe that Genesis is the first person to propose the Masoretic
vocalization which can be letter-by-letter transliterated into English as
"Y-a-h-w-e-h". And I believe that there is more than one source that
indicates that Gesenius was influenced by the Samaritan "IaBe" which
takes us back to a Greek transcription from possibly the years 300-400
A.D.

And then we have Clement of Alexandria writing that the Tetragrammaton
was called "Iaoue" in about 190 A.D.

So we have "Yahweh" being favored by two different Greek transcriptions
one going back almost to Apostolic times.

So I look at this information as lacking something to make it a little
more believable, and then I find information in William Smith's 1863 "A
Dictionary of the Bible" as well as in an early Jewish Encyclopedia
that indicates that "Yeho" can be derived from "Yahw:" in about 3 easy
steps.

Of course I don't know if that information is true or not, but Peter Kirk
thought that that transition could be accomplished in about 5-or-6
steps. But apparently no Hebrew scholar who posts on b-hebrew was ever
able to do same.

So I think that that almost 100% certainty that "Yahweh" was not the
Pronunciation of God's name in Biblical
times, might not be so certain, if some Hebrew scholar could just
demonstrate that "Nathan" could be prefixed with "Yahweh" to create the
theophoric name "Yehonathan".

Any volunteers. Don't forget that both William Smith's 1863 "A dictionary
of the Bible" and an early 20th century Jewish Encylopedia state that it
can be done;

Dave Donnelly

P.S.

www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Can_Theophoric_names_be_derived_from_Yahweh

All you have to do is cut and paste the above link into your browser, and
write some text using Hebrew Unicodes and you may become the first person
to prove that it can be done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_and_HTML_for_the_Hebrew_alphabet

A list of Hebrew unicodes can be found at the link above
Nutrition
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=GiNYhCuLA2WtusxgQNzpVgAAJ1BVGyITH_OGb159rldJgo3SAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASQwAAAAA=