b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Chorin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Chorin
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 01:50:02 -0500

And in case the answer itself was not clear, "ben xorin" means "son of
freedom",or "free person", as opposed to a slave (I'm useing X here for the
letter het(h), instead of "ch"). The phrase is a combination of Hebrew
"ben" and Aramaic "xorin", the Hebrew equivilant of which is Xerut(h). It
appears in the Passover Hagaddah, "we were slaves in Egypt, now we are bene
xorin". The Conservative/Masorti movement in Judaism addopted the phrase as
is in the daily morning liturgy in stead of the traditional "did not make
me a slave".

Yigal Levin