b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:09:33 EST

Hi, Again:

Dave makes an important point... all the more so when trying to extract
beliefs from word choices by comparison with texts from distant contexts
separated from our text by time and geography.

Consider our use of terms like "charming" and "spellbound". Do they say
anything about our beliefs on witchcraft?

Cheers,
Ted Brownstein

In a message dated 3/1/2010 2:56:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dwashbur AT nyx.net writes:

On 1 Mar 2010 at 21:04, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> It is important not to make prior assumptions about what the
> Biblical writer
> would do. I think it is best to try to read this poem and let it
> speak for itself,
> taking into consideration the various allusions that it makes and
> suggestions
> it evokes.

But immediate context, and particularly the biblical materials and the
specific book itself,
would seem much more important for trying to suss out what the writer
meant. It seems to
me that some tend to bypass that and jump straight to the wider Canaanite
milieu, at the
expense of the immediate written context.

Dave Washburn