b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Syriac ; was BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Syriac ; was BH verbal system
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:02:19 +0200

>The issue at stake is
the QATAL in Matthew 24:15 and its real force. I
take it as future and you take it as
"sujunctive." You have a point when you refer to
the Greek text where we find a subjunctive,
because the Peshitta is a translation of the New
Testament. >

Actually, as mentioned, the question is the language
system itself versus use. The Syriac is
certainly subordinate, everyone agrees. Its syntactic
status renders it marginal for claims about 'time'
constraints, or lack thereof.

English can do something similar:
"when he has done it, you will be happy."
Eng. transitive perfects normally include
'+past,+complete,+stative/cont.' components,
but can be used subordinately in a future context.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org