b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proposed definition for "Tense" in BH (Joseph Justiss)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proposed definition for "Tense" in BH (Joseph Justiss)
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:37:24 +0100

Dear Joseph,

I have never heard the expression "grammaticalization of location in text, not time" before. It seems to me to be a contradiction of terms. Please define this phrase or explain what its meaning is.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Univeristy of Oslo

List members

I propose this definition for "tense" in BH narrative texts. Tense is "grammaticalization of location in text, not time". In narratives the deictic center in the current point in the narrative. This "present" point of the narrative is expressed with wayyiqtol. To introduce an event or state prior to the current narrative Qatal is used to "point" back that way.

In conversations, or discourse, the deictic center is the current point in the conversation at hand. Qatal points back in the text to an event preceding the current conversation while weQatals point forward to events subsequent to the current conversation.

Joseph Justiss