b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Stoney Breyer <stoneyb AT touchwoodcreative.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:18:21 +0000

Stoney, what exactly do you believe of value a discussion of the meaning of
'narrative' brings to the bigger picture - that of analysing the Hebrew verb
system? To everyone, except you, it was quite clear what Rolf meant but this
definition was not fundamental to his position. His position comes from his
analysis of the verb forms not from his definition of narrative. The plain
and simple fact is that the majority of the Hebrew corpus we have relates,
almost exclusively, events in the past.

Do you have anything of value to offer to the discussion other than
continuing to debate the nature of the term 'narrative'? Continuing to
disagree with Rolf's usage of a term, which he has provided his working
definition of (according to good academic practice) just seems to highlight
that you have nothing else to contribute. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

James Christian