b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Help, how did people really dress?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Help, how did people really dress?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:06:40 +0200

Hi all,

I have a small team of Ukrainian artists who are working on an illustrated
bible for children. While adopting a style appropriate for children (bright
colours and simple contours) we want to get things right (obviously there is
a large amount of responsibility as children may believe things were as
illustrated). And so my question is this. I have a vague recollection of
reading rules of dress code in the Torah. Can't remember exactly where.
Something about long white gowns with a blue hem and tassles on and, of
course, the philactories worn on the head. What kind of archeological
evidence do we have about typical Hebrew dress? Of the many illustrations
we've inspected few seem to bother with the white gown with a blue hem and
tassles and those that do seem to generally treat it as an undergown with
different coloured overgowns.

Do we have any archeological evidence whatsoever? Did people dress
differently for different occasions (e.g. work, going fishing, sport, at a
wedding)?

Many thanks,
James Christian

  • [b-hebrew] Help, how did people really dress?, James Christian, 01/03/2010