b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Which reading?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Which reading?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:08:59 -0800

Pere:

Transliterations from different times and places show that the pronunciation
preserved in the Masoretic points refer to a tradition from a particular
time and place. With that being the case, we have at best only an educated
guess (and different people guess differently) as to what the Biblical
pronunciation originally was.

With that being said, you are correct as to how the Masoretes would have
pronounced the word. The Latin transliteration you found is from a different
time and place from the Masoretic pronunciation.

Karl W. Randolph.