b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew Vowel Substitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Vowel Substitution
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:01:52 -0500

As the originator of this thread Richard Conaway wrote:

"I am wondering what the group thinks about this paper by Nehemiah Gordon
regarding the vowels of The Name refuting the established belief that the
Masoretes substituted the vowels of Adonai. He uses Biblical Hebrew
manuscript evidence.

http://www.karaite-korner.org/yhwh_2.pdf It's an easy read.
Note that The link doesn't work on my computer. Dave Donnelly,
but I had my own copy of the article.
Nehemiah Gordon is a Karaite Jew and has extensive education and
experience
with ancient Hebrew.

I just want to know the truth as to the proof of the vowel substitution
if
there is any. I hear other rumors as well such as that they changed all
the
vowels to avoid "Yah" in names such as Y'hoshua, Y'huda, and such, and
even
one rumor that says they purposely changed the vowels to create a word
that
would actually cause the speaker to be cursing God.

Adonai substitution--maybe. Rumor 2 I think rather doubtful. Rumor 3
sounds
preposterous because that would be a great sin to purposely cause others
commit blasphemy in ignorance.

I just want to separate the true knowns from the unknowns, rumors, and
falsehoods. I have no personal agenda, just seeking the truth.

Thanks.

Richard Conaway"

In his article "The pronunciation of the name", Nehemia Gordon
made roughly the same comment that Gesenius made in his article on Hebrew
word #3068.
He notes using Hebrew Font: "But the vowels of YHWH are clearly different

from the vowels of Adonai.
YHWH is written Yehvah [hebrew font shows Yod with a simple shewa under
it,
and no holem is shown above the vav]
but with the vowels of Adonai it should have been Yahovah"
[Hebrew font shows Yod with a hatef Patah under it, and also shows
a holem above the vav.
Nehemiah Gordon does not appear to have been aware that in the Ben
Chayyim Hebrew
text of 1525 A.D. "Yehovah" not "Yehvah" occurs 6518 times.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/264290/bdbandstrong290.jpg
Dave Donnelly
Criminal Lawyer
Criminal Lawyers - Click here.