b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Qatal following Vayiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel C. Salomon" <joelcsalomon AT gmail.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Qatal following Vayiqtol
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:33:43 -0500

Rabbi S. R. Hirsch on Genesis 25:34 says (roughly) that a Qatal form following a Vayiqtol form¹ is a past perfect, i.e., the translation should be
And Jacob _had given_ Esau bread and pottage of lentils…
with a fairly different view of what transpired than traditional translations suggest.

Is this grammatical feature otherwise attested to? Is it widely accepted?

1. I’m using terminology I picked up from this list; if there’s a more standard naming scheme would someone please correct me?

—Joel C. Salomon