b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jussive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Benjamin Giffone <bg914 AT eagle.pbu.edu>
  • To: Petr Tomasek <tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jussive
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:53:29 -0400

But surely their mood is jussive/imperative, even if the distinct jussive
forms are not used to distinguish from the *yiqtol*. These verbs are not
past, present or future indicative ("You did not kill," "You do not kill,"
"You will not kill").

Could the answer to the original question lie in the use of *lo'* vs. *'al*?