b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gerry AT wetmountainvalley.us>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:15:29 -0600

James Christian asked: "Any thoughts about how to best translate this in good idiomatic English?"

(I sent this post earlier, but I am not certain if I did so correctly; Thus, I try again.)

My research has lead me to the point of view that the exposition of much of the Tanakh, (attempting to force the Kethib Biblical Hebrew Text to fit into the idiomatic vernacular of another language), has inspired a tradition of forcing the source Hebrew Text to conform with the dominant theological and dogmatic positions of a given culture in stead of allowing the source Hebrew Text speak to us of its ancient author and the ancient culture in which he or she had lived.

Only after the translator of the Kethib Hebrew Text has become familiar and comfortable with the entire context of the literal (word-for-word, bound morpheme inclusive, a.k.a. “interpres translation”), of the source Hebrew Text narrative under consideration should the translator attempt an exposition of the source Hebrew Text.

Together we can “interpres translate” the Genesis 1 thru 2:3 Creation Account and then begin discussing how best to expound the source Hebrew Text into “good idiomatic English.”

I would very much like to embark on such an endeavor.

Gerry Folbre

  • [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light, Gerry Folbre, 09/30/2009