b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite articles and proper names in B-Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mike Gockley <mike.gockley AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite articles and proper names in B-Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:33:23 -0400

Dave brings up a good point here concerning the limitations of B-Hebrew with
respect to the definite nature of the construct element in a construct
chain. Context alone can determine whether the construct is meant to be
definite or not. A similar dilemma is also seen in translating the phrase
MLAK YHWH. Most translations go with the definite option which may point
toward the idea of a proper name, however this could be reading a certain
idea into the text that cannot be determined based on the syntax alone. It
is merely an unfortunate limitation of the language.

Mike Gockley