b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] How Long was Hebrew a Living Language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] How Long was Hebrew a Living Language?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 22:51:55 +0300

vayyixtov David
>I still have my doubts, mainly because all of the evidence we have from the
>period points to
Hebrew as a religious language, not a street language. Is Barr
correct that I, at least, am
out of touch with Mishnaic scholarship? Absolutely. I haven't a clue. >

But "all the evidence" does not point to Hebrew as a religious language.
I suggest reading the texts in Yardeni's volumes "Documentary texts",
and Rahmani's on Ossuaries. Of course, from another perspective
everything in life can
be called religious, even a baker's receipt for dough.
. . .
>I tend to think that, at least in this discussion, we've reached that spot
>where we need to
agree to disagree. What do you think?>

Fine for now, but I would have your children or students of a coming
generation
learn Hebrew
`al borya
in its depth and breadth if they want to discuss the style of Job,
Qumran, or other texts.

blessings

--
Randall Buth, PhD