b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is Hebrew a Dead Language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is Hebrew a Dead Language?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:51:12 +0100

I don’t think there were any mother-tongue speakers of Mishnaic Hebrew,
ever. But the paucity of evidence either way does not allow us to be
certain. Therefore, let’s not argue the point. (Emotionally, I’d like to
agree with you, but scholastic honesty does not allow me to.)

I think this just about sums up my sentiments as well. On the one hand, being a believer, I would like to accept everything unquestionable that Hebrew is a living language and that we can be 100% sure of the meaning of the original. This would bolster my faith immensely. On the other hand, I was raised a scientist and not as a Christian or as a Jew and so I have to take control of my emotions and analyse things as objectively as I can.

James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.