b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is Hebrew a Dead Language? (Joseph Justiss)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Justiss <jljustiss AT msn.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is Hebrew a Dead Language? (Joseph Justiss)
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:07:09 -0500

Would the discussion of whether or not Hebrew is a dead language be served by
introducing the category of "living informant" to the discussion. Since
biblical Hebrew has no living informants, e.g. Moses or David, whom we could
ask about the syntactical function of clause initial Yiqtols in narrative and
speech and poetry, shouldn't we consider it dead--that is, in the sense of no
living informants?

This discussion is important because it bears directly on how the language
should be studied properly.

Joe Justiss

HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.