b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Rebia Mugrash in Psa 110:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: DrJDPrice AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Rebia Mugrash in Psa 110:4
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:08:37 EDT

David Hamuel asked:
<<
I have an interesting question on accents and a poetic reading.
`al divrati ??-????? in Psalm 110:4 has a long tradition of being read
as a poetic preposition with the yud being a poetic embellishment
and not the personal pronoun 'my'. The LXX does not have 'my'
here, and Rashi, Ibn-Ezra, and QimHi all point out that the phrase
`al divrati should be interpreted as if it read `al divrat.

My question concerns the MT accents. They have a revia` mugrash
on this phrase, which is a major disjunctive in the psalms (eme"t)
system of te`amim. I am thinking that this accent suggests that
the MT interpreted `al-divrati as "on my word, O Melchitsedek".
Does anyone have some nice counterexamples for revia` mugrash
that would support the traditional reading within the confines of the
MT?

According to the laws of accentuation in the poetical books, for musical
reasons, Rebia Mugrash (or its equivalent) must stand on the first or second
word before Silluq regardless of the grammatical environment. There are a
few well defined exceptions that do not affect this verse. Rebia Mugrash
frequently occurs on a construct form (as generally accented in this case),
so
it has little to contribute to the exegesis of this passage. Randall Buth
is correct in saying that Rebia Mugrash is not a major disjunctive, at
least as far as exegesis is concerned.
James D. Price

**************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your
score. See now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823322x1201398723/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/defau
lt.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)