b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] sentence construction on Deu 6:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] sentence construction on Deu 6:4
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 02:37:11 -0400

Dear scholars,

Deu 6:4 reads in NLT which seems most sensible one among many English
translations:

"Listen, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone."

I would naturally take this verse as:

"Listen to this (Or, implied as 'to me, Moses'), O Israel!,
that the LORD is our God, the LORD alone."

An extreme translation, which can be seen in ASV, Also in NWT (Listen ~),

"Hear, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah." (This sounds
nonsensical to me.)

I would appreciate very much your comment to help me if I propose a
different understanding of the syntax as:

"O Israel! Listen to Yahweh our God, Yawheh alone!"

This by itself makes a good sense to me, but I'm ignorant of Hebrew
grammar and construction. I am also not sure whether this verse should
actually be same as in v. 3 which says something like 'Hear ~ (to
this) that ~".

Oun Kwon.