b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Robert Alter on Joseph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Robert Alter on Joseph
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:46:18 -0700

Oun:

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:36 PM, K Randolph<kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jim:
> >

> <clipped>
> >
> > So Benjamin was only 15 when he already had at least seven sons, not
> > counting daughters? That’s pushing it, even for regular years. Genesis
> > 46:21.
> >
> > I am still waiting for primary source data.
> >
> > Karl W. Randolph.
> >

> Hi Karl,
>
> I like to check it out. Where can I find of his age mentioned in the O.T.?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Oun.

There is no place that specifically mentions his age at the time he
immigrated to Egypt.

I once calculated the age that Joseph had when his family immigrated to
Egypt, but I didn’t write it down and I don’t remember the exact number I
came up with, but it put Joseph at least in his 40s if not older, which
meant that Benjamin was in his mid 30s or thereabouts.

Though, on second thought even as I write this, Joseph may have been as old
as 70, which would make Benjamin about 60.