b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] cancellable dynamicity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] cancellable dynamicity
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:27:14 +0200

Dear Yitzhaq,

I have never said that dynamicty cannot be cancelled, but I have said that in verbs *marked* for dynamicity, dynamicity cannet be cancelled. For example, the verb $yR will in any context be dynamic and durative. So, your example is irrelevant to my theory.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

Dear Rolf,

I don't know if you saw it or not, but within the discussion of
"plod", I also pointed out something that essentially challenges
your claims that dynamicity cannot be cancelled. This is the
use in BH of nzl 'flow'/'pour' in Exodus 15:8 where it appears
to refer as a participle to something that is not flowing. It
appears that its dynamicity is cancelled by other parts of
the sentence such as 'nd' and 'ncbw'. How does your theory
account for this?

Yitzhak Sapir