b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 30.41,42

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 30.41,42
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:39:44 -0700

Steve:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Steve Miller<smille10 AT sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> [Steve Miller] The English word "conspiracy" requires multiple people. I
> think that when the Bible only mentions one name conspiring against a king,
> it doesn't mean that he did it alone. It just was not important to name the
> others. For example 2 Kg 9:14 just says that Jehu conspired against Joram,
> but when you read the details you see that he had helpers.

For the military person, what is he to do when his commanding officer
gives him a direct order? What if that order is to follow him in a
rebellion against his king? Does he obey, or disobey that direct
order? Especially when that officer is right there, and the king far
off?

Especially in this case where there was divine sanction given to the
rebellion?

> Concordant Version translates the 2 words as "sinewy" and "droopy".

The second one is as I picture it, but the first still is trying to
maintain the idea of tying as the main meaning, whereas I am ready to
jettison that meaning to something else.