b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] sophit letters f/u on ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sophit letters f/u on ayin
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 07:49:48 +1000

David,

Yes, I think you've got Naveh's argument correct. However, I'd want to nuance
what he says a little more. I wouldn't say that there was a distinct
linear-like development from a sophit-like form to a medial-like form. Even
in early inscriptions that use the Palaeo-Hebrew script, you can find kaph,
mem, nun, and the like with a bit of a curve on them. So, even in the
earliest stages, there is a 'cursive' tendency. On that basis, I think we can
talk about different options for writing letter forms.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au