b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A new list is definitely needed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Louis Sorenson <llsorenson AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, B-Hebrew Email list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A new list is definitely needed
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 23:37:28 -0500

I am more of a watcher of the B-Greek list. My Hebrew is rusty - and I am
working on refreshing it. (I'm a Greek-o-phile who knows he needs to be
fluent in Hebrew for the LXX and NT.) I am not looking for a beginning
Hebrew site which will answer and post all those beginning grammar and
philology questions - even though I struggle with those issues here and
there. What I am looking for is an email list which will pull me into the
Hebrew language world and help me learn and improve my Hebrew skills, and
also let me know what many of the hot topics are in Biblical Hebrew. If I
have a question, I would like to be able to post a question, no matter how
"stupid" that question would be to many on the list. I'm a firm believer that
there is no such thing as a "stupid question" -- a teacher in my past always
used to tell me, "when you are answering a question on the test, consider me
as intelligent but uniformed." I understand that many people have passions
in regards to their personal convictions on issues such as "inspiration",
historical-critical perspectives, interest in philological versus pedagogical
and linguistic-origins-of-Hebrew and Origins of Israel and Hebrew language
origin topics.

The point is that I am interested in all of these topics. What I struggle
with is the constant drum of members wanting to dominate the list and use it
for the propagation of their favorite pet theory. I don't receive a digest
(i.e. all emails in a single combined email) - I do not know if this is an
option. (It is on the b-Greek list; perhaps this could be an option for the
b-Hebrew list.) It is a hassle and very irritating to have to delete 15
emails in the same day which deal with a single pet thesis of any given
member.

So, "Is a new list needed?" NO. The real question is this: What do most
members of the list expect? What are the tones and subjects and numbers of
emails that they receive in their e-mail boxes. How many of those emails do
they roll their eyes at, and say "not again," "won't this topic ever end".

Content is the key. If an email has content, i.e. "meat", whatever the topic
and controversy, most members will read them and evaluate them -- which is
the point of the List. Those who are on the borders of 'academic acceptance'
do have valid theories - and their arguments need to be evaluated. But if the
entire balance of the list is focused on evaluating these proposals - with no
counterbalance, the thrust of the B-Hebrew list gets shifted from what its
intent was (as I believe), to being the tool of those who are the most
frequent and ardent posters. 30 emails in several days, about a controversial
and borderline topic are too many for most members (imoho).

I greatly appreciate those who are in academic circles and participate on
this list. Those academics and very skilled non-academics who take an
interest in grooming, encouraging, corralling, nudging, correcting and
inspiring are an absolute requirement for a list such as b-Hebrew. Those who
do not hold PhD's in Hebrew or M.A.'s in Hebrew need you academics who
participate in this list. It is truly a service that George Athas and Yitzhak
Sapir provide to this group.

Louis Sorenson