b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Arpachshad

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Al Craig" <crequi AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Arpachshad
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:05:14 +0100

Thanks Ron. I think Karl's comment was only about spelling not meaning. The
prevailing view is that Arpachshad should be associated with the Chaldaeans
by simple analysis of the name. Indeed the idea is already present in
Genesis with the name Ur Kasdim. But I suspect for historical reasons that
the intended meaning was something more pertinent to Israelite origins in
the vicinity of the Holy Land.

Al Craig