b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>, Vadim Cherny <him AT vadimcherny.org>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:59:17 +1100

I think we can improve the definition of HITPAEL slightly. To say that the
stem is 'reflexive' is perhaps a little too narrow and won't always take in
some translations and nuances. It could be classified as 'middle', but
'middle' is quite a broad category and perhaps needs a little definition. I'd
argue that the HITPAEL indicates the subject as the arena of the action.
This, I think, captures reflexive and reciprocal senses.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au