b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Answer key to Harper?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: je bay <jebay AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Answer key to Harper?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:55:04 -0700 (PDT)

Is anyone aware of an answer key to the exercises in William Harper's
Introductory New Testament Greek Method? Thank you.
Jane E. Baynard
Charlotte, NC
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:14:12 +0300
From: Vadim Cherny <him AT vadimcherny.org>
To: GuerrillaVille <guerrillaville AT gmail.com>
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] WELSH AND HEBREW

I see random phrases rather than idioms in your examples. Isaac Mozeson
(The Word) collected a heap of apparent Hebraisms in other languages,
some surprisingly meaningful, but still short of proving any systemic
correlation.
On other hand, there is indeed a very strong idiomatic and etymological
correlation between Hebrew and Russian, amply documented in Steinberg's
dictionary.

Vadim Cherny

GuerrillaVille wrote:
> [...]
>
> In Welsh Iachadd ni meaning "Thou hast healed me" = in Hebrew:
> hechiyatni.
>
> In Welsh Nesa awyr peneu chwi meaning "Lif thou up the light of thy
> countenance" = in Hebrew: nasa aor panechoh.(Psalms 4;6.).
>
> In Welsh An annos meaning "None did compel" = in Hebrew: ain ones.
> (Esther 1;8).
>
> In Welsh As chwimwth meaning "an angry man" = in Hebrew: ish chamas
> (Psalms 140;12 Proverbs 16;29 meaning a wickedly-violent man).
>
> In Welsh Be heulo, luerferfo (Job 6;4) meaning "When his candle shined
> ..... and by his light.." = in Hebrew: behilo, leoroe.
>
> In Welsh Bwgythieu in gwarchaeni (Job 6;4) meaning "The terrors of God
> set themselves in array against me = in Hebrew: Biu(g)thi elohai
> ya-a(g)rchuni.
>
> In Welsh I far meaning "Shall be cursed" = Hebrew : Yu-ar, yuv-ar.
> (Numbers 22;6).
>
> In Welsh Am geryddo fo meaning "At his reproof" = in Hebrew :im ge-arato.
>
> Godfrey Hughes "The Celtic Druids" (1829) quotes from a certain Welsh
> Translation of the Bible in which similar examples as the above are
> apparent:
>
> In Welsh By-lllwng Adon-ydb holl neuodh Jago meaning "The Lord has
> swallowed up all the tabernacles of Jacob" (Lamentations 2;2) = Hebrew
> : Balla(ng) Adoni eth col neoth Yacob.
>
> In Welsh Dyrac buth-hi ai-i-sengyd meaning "The avenue of her dwelling
> he would go to tread" (Proverbs 7;8) = Hebrew : Derech baithah
> yitsa(ng)d.
>
> In Welsh Py yw-o sy maeloc y-cavad I-a-ywoo savwyod yw-o maeloc
> y-cavad, Selah meaning "Who is the king of glory [attainment]? The
> LORD of hosts , he is the king of glory. Selah" (Psalms 24;10) > Hebrew: Mi
> hu zeh melec hacavod Y....Tsavaoth hu melec hacavod selah.
>
> The affinity between Hebrew and Welsh was mentioned by a certain Dr.
> Davies (amongst others) and in the preface to his Welsh Grammar there was
> a poem to the effect that:
>
> He gladly deigns his countrymen to teach,
> By well-weigh?d rules, the rudiments of speech;
> That when the roots first of our own we gain,
> The Hebrew tongue we thence may soon attain .
>
> The Rev. Eliezer Williams (b.1754) wrote several works on the Celts
> and made several remarks (quoted by Roberts p.23):
>
> "In the Hebrew...which the ancient British language greatly
> resembles... "The roots of most of the ancient British, or real Welsh,
> words may be regularly traced in the Hebrew.. "Scarcely a Hebrew root
> can be discovered that has not its corresponding derivative in the
> ancient British language...But not only..the words...their variations
> and inflections afford a much stronger proof of affinity...The plural
> number of nouns likewise is often formed in a similar manner in the
> Celtic by adding in (a contraction of ??: i.e.-IM which is the suffix
> used in Hebrew to form the masculine plural)...in the formation of
> sentences, and in the government of words...the same syntax might

  • [b-hebrew] Answer key to Harper?, je bay, 03/27/2009