b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hatuf patah under the lamed (LHBDYL) in Gen 1, 18 and Lev 10, 10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hatuf patah under the lamed (LHBDYL) in Gen 1, 18 and Lev 10, 10
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:12:15 -0500

The XATAP PATAX may be just an emblematic indication that it is a schwa superseded by a PATAX. In this sense )ARUXAH ( אֲרוּחָה ), 'meal', XALU$AH ( חֲלוּשָה ), 'weakness', (AZUBAH ( עֲזוּבָה ), 'neglect', etc. are of MI $KQAL P(ULAH to which belong BTULAH ( בְּתוּלָה ), 'virgin', Y $UAH ( יְשוּעָה ), 'salvation', RPU)AH ( רְפוּאָה ), 'medicine', etc..

Isaac Fried, Boston University