b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:33:36 +1100

But I can clearly see, from the examples that you and David Hamuel have
given, that the graphic presence/absence of the dagesh alone can
indicate words of different meaning.

Which is another way of saying that dagesh forte is phonemic, a fact which we have been trying to tell you the whole time. And which is why we have kept repeating to you that statements you kept making about the definite article such as

"if you remove the dagesh mark from the word in the <H:A/$OM"R> vs <HA/$.OM"R> no translational data would be lost."

are in error because dagesh forte is phonemic. Hence the phoneme /haC/ differs to /ha/.

Regards,
David Kummerow.