b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sopherim and an 'Established' Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sopherim and an 'Established' Text
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 01:08:07 +1100

Harold, there are two major problems I have with this view. Firstly, it is
based largely on tradition which is fairly late - a good few centuries after
the period you've mentioned (300-200 BC). Secondly, it doesn't seem to do
justice to the text critical issues as evidenced by Qumran.

I would argue on the basis of Qumran that there is a proto-Masoretic text
which is reaching a fairly stable form by the turn of the era. However, there
are also a plurality of other text types which make it difficult to talk
about a fixed text.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au