b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] barak (bless? curse?) in the Book of Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] barak (bless? curse?) in the Book of Job
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:11:30 -0800

Harold:

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Harold Holmyard
<hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>wrote:

> > First you said that there were only 18 places, in 17 verses, where the
> > Masoretes admitted to changing the text. These verses were not included
> in
> > those 17.
> >
> > Now you are saying that there were more changes admitted to, including
> these
> > verses.
> >
> > Which is it? Or are you including suspected changes which were not
> > specifically admitted to?
> >

> HH: Yes, there were more changes than the 18.

Just to nail it down, is the claim that the Masoretes specified 18 places
where they documented changes, including what they changed from?

Or were there more?

My understanding is that the more included several cases of suspected
changes, but where there is no documentation to back it up, is that true?

How many of the changes are documented in the DSS?

Or is there some other explanation you have not been clear on?

As far as euphemisms, I never said I rejected euphemisms; rather outside of
slang, I have never seen a word used for the opposite meaning than its
normal meaning in the Bible. Notice, none of the euphemisms that I saw you
list (I don't agree with all of them, a few need a dirty mind) has a word
euphemistically refer to the opposite of its normal meaning.

So where is the evidence of euphemistic use that you mention?