b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex and "Special Letters"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dan Pater" <paterdr AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Leningrad Codex and "Special Letters"
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 21:17:00 -0500

John,

As per your request regarding special letters in the Leningrad Codex, and pending any more information for our corrrespondents...

This evening I have very quickly compiled the following text list giving the location of orthographical anomalies found in BHS, which follows Leningrad, as you know. I am putting this into a spreadsheet (Excel) and will go through Leningrad, if this is useful, and compare that with the BHS. This will be necessary because, for example, BHS puts a large letter in Lev 11:42 where there is NOT one in L. Both BHS and BHK variously note a small letter at Gen 2:4, but it's not in the edition and probably not in L. You probably know the usual references for this kind of information, but just in case not, it can be found in Yeivin, _Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah_, and most accessibly in Page Kelley et al. _The Masorah of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia_. Ginsburg, Dotan, etc. There are some references online, you've probably noticed, but I, too, haven't come across a complete list for Leningrad, as you desire.

Thus this little work is still incomplete, e.g. I'd like to put the Leningrad folio and column references into the spreadsheet as I look them up to confirm their presence.
I'm also making a rich text file with the information (e.g. Hebrew words involved), and verse lists (à la _Bible Works_), too if you wish. I guess that means you (and anyone else, of course) can contact me off-list if you want such files, and I'll get right to it. Again, let me know if this is what you want, and if any of these file formats could be useful to you.

Dan Pater

Nequdoth - Puncta Extraordinaria listed in Sifre 69 (commentary to Num 9:10)
-------------------
Gen 16:5
Gen 18:9
Gen 19:33
Gen 33:4
Gen 37:12
Num 3:39
Num 9:10
Num 29:15
Deut 29:28
2 Sam 19:20
Isa 44:9
Eze 41:20
Eze 46:22
Ps 27:13

Nunim haphukah or menuzarot (Inverted / Isolated Nun)
-------------------
Num 10:34
Num 10:36
Psa 107:21