b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 18:26:13 +1100

Hi Jason!

I'd disagree with Rolf, and say that most Daniel scholars would be of the
opinion that Antiochus IV is certainly the focus of the visionary sections of
the book. There is ample support for this view. However, I'd be interested in
reading Rolf's view when it is published. I'm not going to dismiss his view
out of hand (viz. that Antiochus IV is not the focus), but I daresay he faces
an uphill battle.

I've got an article on the 'seventy weeks' which I'm hoping to put the
finishing touches on in the next few weeks. It will be published online by
JHS very soon. In short, it argues that there are some unwarranted
assumptions in the way we view and calculate the 'seventy weeks', and offers
a new configuration of the 'seventy weeks' which works with the narrative
cues of the book itself and lands smack bang at the time of Antiochus IV.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
Ph: 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100