b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Linguistic, historical, cultural origins of yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Guy Zed <atdgz AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Linguistic, historical, cultural origins of yahweh
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:10:00 +0000

To Uri and the other respondents-- Thank you!

While it looks as a whole lot of resources if not suggested research I am
wondering whether those who suggested books could also direct me to the ones
that deal more with the very origin of the name.

To my understanding there is less than a handful of references to the name in
extra-biblical sources in the late bronze age or Iron Age. I wonder also
whether it bears any characteristics that would associate it with a semitic
language.

Does any of the suggested books touch on those issues?

Gad Zack