b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: AMK Judaica <amkjudaica AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 18:17:55 -0500

hi rivka,

i think it's pretty clear that the meteg does not serve to indicate a sheva
na (although, as you note, it is often followed by one).

consider, for example, all the examples of meteg followed by the letter heh
with a sheva (as in words of the root HYH). if the meteg here were to
indicate a sheva na, then the vocalization would have to be a hataf, as
guttorals can't have a sheva na.

in general i find the whole meteg issue very confusing and it is on my list
of things i would really like to read more about and understand better. as
for modern sources, you should probably start with the series of thorough
articles by r. mordechai breuer in the journal leshonenu (also see he taamei
ha-mikra book) and yeivin's book on the vocalization of the aleppo codex.

kol tuv,
ari kinsberg