b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] olam in Ps 136.3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Daniel Rodriguez <dlr09 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] olam in Ps 136.3
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:53:54 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

I'm curious to know what the B-Hebrew listers may have to say about a
particular spelling in the BHS.

The refrain of Ps 136 is ki le-olam chasdo. In v1-2, and v4-forward olam is
spelled with the so-called full spelling with the presence of holem vav.
However, v3 of the BHS text has the so-called defective spelling of olam. Why
is this? Is this representation of the Lenningrad codex (all the online
versions I find are broken)? If so, why is it like that. Aleppo and DSS both
have the full spelling uniformly through the psalm. Any ideas?

thanks,
daniel