b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 02:24:23 +0200

Dear Jim,

As usual, I disagree with what you write. In this case, just a few points;

1. I do agree that Gesenius' etymologies are not to be trusted.

2. Since Abraham looks over the cities of the plain, including Sodom, from Hebron, they obviously could not have been in the Jezreel Valley. This is even true if the Patriarchs' Hebron was in the Ayalon Valley, as you (wrongly) claim.

3. If I may try my own hand at poular etymologies, how about "Sodom" - "the Valley of Siddim", which according to Gen. 14:3 was the old name for the Dead Sea?

Yigal
----- Original Message ----- From: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>