b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] HXL - begin NOT profane

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: "pporta AT oham.net" <pporta AT oham.net>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] HXL - begin NOT profane
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:18:55 +0200

Pere

I can think of several cases where the same word does not have an initial H
or Y,
but rather a T.

For example
Genesis 41:54 WTXLYNH $B( $NY HR(B and the seven years of famine started to
come
Judges 13:25 WTXL RUX and the spirit of God started to move him

in fact, the form with an initial T is so common, that in modern Hebrew the T
was (mistakenly?)
absorbed into the root, which became TXL.

However, the original root was XWL meaning to occur,
and in the hiphil form to cause to occur, and thus to start.

Yaakov (J) Stein