b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zincirli stele

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zincirli stele
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:56:15 -0800

Yitzhak:
Thanks for the news.

Did you read the stone?

I tried to, but I found most of the top line illegible, and some letters
through the rest of the stone also illegible. But I was able to read most.

One thing I noticed, in view of discussions we have had in the past, is that
materes lectionis are found in this inscription, at about the same frequency
as in Hebrew from the same time period (as dated by tradition).

Even though the image you linked to is pretty clear, it is only about half
the size of the original, and I wonder if it would have been more legible
had it been full size? Was it published to excite people to come to the
presentation? Now having seen it, I wish I could be in attendance.

Karl W. Randolph.