b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Horowitz' etymology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: yishalom AT sbcglobal.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Horowitz' etymology
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:04:08 -0500

David,
I think is one of the better books on this delicate subject. He subscribes to the idea of two-consonant roots but I am disappointed at his failure to see that the Hebrew root is invariably composed of single-consonant roots. Also his missing the obvious fact that the vowels I and U (and eventually E and O) are identity markers or personal pronouns.

Isaac Fried, Boston University