b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exo 21:21 - does the slave live or die?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew posts" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exo 21:21 - does the slave live or die?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 06:14:26 -0700

Jim:
Look at the context, particularly the previous two verses. There the person
at fault had to pay for the modern equivalent of lost wages and doctor's
fees.

In the case of the slave, the lost wages and doctor's fees come out of the
master's pocket. But if the slave dies, then he should be avenged. Other
verses indicate that if the slave is permanently injured, he is to be set
free.

So the total context indicates that the "standing" refers to recovery from
the beating, not malingering a couple of days before expiring.

The text is not that ambiguous, when taken in context.

As for the "right" to beat a slave, that is hardly a right if the master has
to pay the price for recovery, or loss of the slave if permanently injured,
or a sentence of death if the slave dies.

Karl W. Randolph.