b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 22:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 22:18
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:42:50 -0700

Yaakov:
I can't imagine being without a Tanakh.

About the first thing I install when I get a computer, whether PDA, laptop
or desktop, is a Tanakh, in Hebrew. There are free ones available for almost
all platforms. I am almost never without one.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com> wrote:

> Karl
>
> > by the time of Jeremiah (assuming that the Documentary Hypothesis is
> false),
> > Hebrew writers consistently wrote the male, third person singular suffix
> with a waw, not a heh.
>
> In Jeremiah there are a large number of variant spellings (which may be
> simple scribal errors).
>
> I am at a conference without a tanach in hand and so can not give you the
> verse numbers,
> but offhand I remember
> V)YO instead of V)YH ,

Also found in Exodus 2:20 and Job 14:10

> &)Y which in some manuscripts is &)U

Difference between ketib and qere in Jeremiah 13:20, though I understand the
singular verb with a plural noun in this case indicates that Jeremiah was
emphasizing "each of you".

> C(YRYHM spelled C(URYHM,

Again a difference between qere and ketib. Debatable which one is correct
here in Jeremiah 14:3.

> TRMYT spelled TRMUT

Jeremiah 14:14, again a difference between qere and ketib. Here I think the
ketib is correct.

> HNYS instead of HNS,

Jeremiah 48:44, personally I read this as a hiphil, so ketib is correct, not
qere.

> and dozens more.
>
> This is what makes Jeremiah such a challenge to read.

> > 2) the context seems to indicate that this is a person, not something
> like "his majesty"
>
> That's why I mentioned the modern polite use of KBODO.
> It refers to a person, although in third person.
>
> Now I think I see what you mean, "...woe the lord and woe the majesty
(person)." Makes sense. Thanks.