b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Jim Stinehart’s Theories

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Jim Stinehart’s Theories
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:08:11 -0700

Jim:
Where are you coming from? What is your belief concerning Biblical
authorship?

On this list we have minimalists who believe that the text is largely
post-Exile and mostly legendary, going up to maximalists who accept that it
mostly reflects accurate history, then there are those like myself, other
Biblical Christians and Orthodox Jews who claim the theological belief that
it is accurate history, rejecting the Documentary Hypothesis. Where do you
fit in?

>From recent discussions it seems to me that you have a new theory that I
haven't seen before, namely that after the Israelite invasion, east of the
Jordan under Moses, west of the Jordan under Joshua, during the middle
bronze age, that the invaders then realized that the civilized inhabitants
had a "history" telling where they came from, therefore the invaders also
made up one drawing parts of their stories from the cities around them? That
you are quite a high maximalist, saying that this authorship occurred early,
during the late bronze age? That the evidence for the dating of these
legends is the archeology from late bronze age Israel?

If you have developed such a theory, please explain. We could then integrate
your claims into a coherent whole. Right now, you are coming across as a
nutcase with excessive verbiage.

Karl W. Randolph.

  • [b-hebrew] Jim Stinehart’s Theories, K Randolph, 10/07/2008