b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dawidh / Bath-sheva / Uriyah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dawidh / Bath-sheva / Uriyah
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:45:46 +1100

1 Kings 15.5 states that David was upright, except in the matter of Uriah the
Hittite. This would suggest that the centre of gravity for the affair was the
murder of Uriah. However, the murder was occasioned by the adultery. Nathan's
parable (2 Sam 12) seems to put the adultery (taking the ewe) and murder
(butchering the ewe) into one. So I'm not sure that we can really untangle
the two heinous acts from each other. They are both two sides of the one coin.

Also, the reason David is not put to death himself is that the son born of
the affair dies in his stead. Also, Yahweh has made an unconditional
commitment to David and his heirs in 2 Sam 7, and that commitment holds
despite sinfulness.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)