b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Query about Psalm 113(114)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Query about Psalm 113(114)
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:33:08 -0700

There are more than one word used for "idol":

)LYL nothing ⇒ idol

GLWL, GLL idol

MSKH (cast) statue, often used as an idol

SML idol, referring to an object that is worshipped

(CB idol (what object that causes the most sorrowful, heavy labor in
idolatrous societies if not the worship of their gods?), from the same root
of doing heavy labor.

Those are words that I can think of, were you thinking of something else?

Karl W. Randolph.