b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Baal-Hermon

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Baal-Hermon
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:48:20 +0300

Dear Jim,

Unfortunately, your very long post (actually 2 posts!) repeats a lot of old material, makes some unbased assertions, and does not answer the question. Most of what you wrote about the identitification of Hermon/Senir etc. is irrelevant. Your proposed etymology for Hermon does not work. Your are wrong that the common etymology for Hermon, XRM, means "to destroy". It means "to consecrate", that Hermon was considered holy (probably by the Canaanites). You write about "JEPD" as if "he" were a "person" - which of course he was not. The whole idea behing the Documentary Hypothesis is that different parts of the Pentateuch were written by different people at different times. I assume that you know this, so your referring to "what JEPD knew" and so on is a diliberate misrepresentation of the theory, meant to redicule it. Of course you don't have to agree with the DH, but what you are doing is simply intellectually dishonest. It's also not relevant to the issue, since both references to "Baal Hermon" are actually NOT in the Pentateuch, but in Judges and in Chronicles.

So thanks for trying, but you have not helped answer my question.

Take care,

Yigal Levin