b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] HQBH and QBTH in Numbers 25:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] HQBH and QBTH in Numbers 25:8
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:58:51 -0700

Yaakov:
This is a word whose only other use is found in Deuteronomy 18:3 where it
apparently refers to the ribcage of a sacrificial animal.

In Numbers 25:8, the context indicates the first use is that of a place,
such as a chamber, a portion of a tent or building, and the second use has
the feminine genitive suffix that could refer either to her chamber, or that
Pinhas stabbed her in her rib cage. I think the context may indicate the
former.

Words used so seldom sometimes give difficulties.

Karl W. Randolph.